"Personal information" means information that identifies you or could be used to identify you and which is submitted to and/or collected by Abbott Web Sites. Examples of personal information include your name, your postal address, your e-mail address and your telephone number.
How does Abbott collect information online?
Abbott collects information in two ways:
- Personal Information You Submit:
Abbott collects personal information that you enter into data fields on Abbott Web Sites. For example, you may submit your name, postal address, e-mail address, and/or other information in order to receive information about various subjects, register for Abbott programs, contact Abbott customer service, or respond to Abbott surveys. To protect your privacy, you should not provide Abbott with any information that is not specifically requested.
- Passive Collection of Unidentifiable Information:
Abbott Web Sites may collect information about your visits to Abbott Web Sites without you actively submitting such information. Unidentifiable information may be collected using various technologies, such as cookies, and web beacons. Cookies are small text files that are transferred to your computer's hard disk by a website. Web beacons (also referred to as GIF files, pixels or Internet tags) help Abbott recognize a unique cookie on your browser. Your Internet browser automatically transmits to Abbott Web Sites some of this unidentifiable information, such as the URL of the web site you just visited and the browser version your computer is operating. Passive information collection technologies can make your use of Abbott Web Sites easier by allowing Abbott to provide better service, customize Abbott Web Sites based on consumer preferences, compile statistics, analyze trends, and otherwise administer and improve Abbott Web Sites. Certain features of Abbott Web Sites may not work without use of passive information collection technologies. Information collected by these technologies cannot be used to identify you without additional identifiable information and Abbott will not connect additional identifiable information with information collected through the use of such tracking technologies. With respect to limiting or disabling tracking technology please see below "What choices do I have about how Abbott collects and uses personal information about me?".
In what circumstances and for what purposes might Abbott collect and use personal information?
Abbott will use the personal information you provide through Abbott Web Sites to respond to your questions and to provide you with efficient customer service. After you have entered personal information into a form or data field on an Abbott Web Site, Abbott may use certain identifying technologies to allow that Abbott Web Site to "remember" your personal preferences, such as sections of that Abbott Web Site that you visit frequently and, if you choose, your user ID. We will only use your personal information for other business purposes, such as to offer you the opportunity to receive notices regarding Abbott's products or services, to invite you to participate in surveys about our products, or to notify you about special promotions if you provided us with your prior opt-in for such purposes.
Does Abbott consolidate personal information?
Abbott may consolidate the personal information of customers who use Abbott Web Sites. In addition, we may consolidate information in a non-identifiable form (aggregate/anonymous data) to help us better design Abbott Web Sites and Abbott products, to enhance our research activities, and to facilitate other business functions.
What choices do I have about how Abbott collects and uses personal information about me?
You may always limit the amount and type of personal information that Abbott receives about you by choosing not to enter any personal information into forms or data fields on Abbott Web Sites. Some of our online services can only be provided to you if you provide us with appropriate personal information. Other parts of Abbott Web Sites may ask whether you wish to opt into our contact lists for offers, promotions and additional services that may be of interest to you.
You may also be provided with preference questions or preference boxes allowing you to indicate that you do not want Abbott Web Sites to use tracking technologies, such as cookies, to "remember" your personal information, such as user IDs or mailing addresses, on return visits. However, Abbott Web Sites that use tracking technologies to collect unidentifiable information do not generally provide you with the ability to opt out of the tracking technologies. Some Internet browsers allow you to limit or disable the use of tracking technologies that collect unidentifiable information.
Who will have access to personal information about me?
Personal information can be accessed by a restricted number of Abbott employees, by certain companies with which Abbott may conduct joint programs, and by third parties with whom Abbott contracts to carry out business activities for Abbott. We train our employees about the importance of privacy and how to handle and manage customer data appropriately and securely. Also, it is Abbott's practice to seek your consent where required by applicable law if you are registering for a program which is conducted in conjunction with another company that may require access to your personal information. In addition, Abbott's practice is to require its contractors to keep your personal information confidential and to use your personal information only to perform functions for Abbott.
Does Abbott share personal information with third parties?
Except as otherwise stated in this Section, Abbott will not transfer your personal information to third parties unless you have been provided with an opportunity to opt into this disclosure. Abbott may disclose your personal information without your opt-in to third party service providers which assist us with our business activities. It is Abbott's practice to require such third party service providers to keep your personal information confidential and to use your personal information only to perform functions for Abbott and in accordance with Abbott's instructions. Abbott further reserves the right to disclose your personal information to respond to authorized information requests from government authorities or when otherwise required by law. In the event Abbott sells one of its product lines or divisions, Abbott will only transfer your personal information to the buyer subject to your consent where required by applicable law so that the buyer can continue to provide you with information and services.
How does Abbott secure personal information?
How does Abbott protect the privacy of children?
Abbott does not knowingly collect or use any personal information from children (we define "children" as minors younger than 18) on Abbott Web Sites. We do not knowingly allow children to order our products, communicate with us, or use any of our online services. If you are a parent and become aware that your child has provided us with information, please contact us using one of the methods specified below, and we will work with you to address this issue.
How may I correct personal information or delete it from current customer records?
With your support Abbott will keep personal information accurate and up-to-date. You may request to remove, amend or correct your personal information. Please notify us of your wishes by contacting us in one of the ways specified below.
How long will Abbott store personal information?
In general, Abbott will only store your personal information for as long as it is needed to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, subject to applicable data retention periods imposed upon Abbott by applicable law.
How can I contact Abbott?
If you have questions about the scope, use, amendment, or deletion of personal information that you have provided to us, or if you would like to opt out of future communications from an Abbott business or a particular Abbott program, please contact us by clicking on the "Contact Us" link on the Abbott Web Site you are visiting or by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you may send a letter to the following address:
Attention: Public Affairs, Department 383
100 Abbott Park Road
Abbott Park, IL 60064-6048
In all communications to Abbott, please include the e-mail address used for registration (if applicable), the Abbott Web Site address on which you provided any personal information about which you have questions or concerns (e.g. Abbott.com etc.), and a detailed explanation of your request. If you would like to delete, amend or correct your personal information and are contacting us by e-mail, please put "Deletion Request" or "Amendment/Correction Request", as applicable, in the subject line of the e-mail. We will do our best to respond to all reasonable requests in a timely manner.
For persons located in the EEA:
The EU General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR") is in force from 25 May 2018. The GDPR amends and updates the rights you have in relation to your personal data, and what companies that process your personal data are permitted and required to do. It also requires that we provide you with the following information in addition to that which you have already received: This supplemental notice supersedes any information you have already received from us.
The GDPR introduces new and extended rights in relation to your personal data beyond those already highlighted to you. These are:
- The right to rectify, or erase any wrong or incomplete personal data that Abbott holds about you;
- The right to access the personal data that Abbott holds about you;
- The right, in some cases, to object to the processing of your personal data on legitimate grounds;
- The right not to be subjected to automated decision making intended to evaluate certain personal aspects relating to you, such as analytics based on conduct. Please refer to the cookies section of the privacy notice for more information on how to exercise this right if it is indicated that cookies are being used; Where you have provided your personal data to us with your consent or as part of a contract, the right to the portability of that personal data to another person or, if it’s technically feasible for us to do so, to another company;
- The right to lodge a complaint with your national data protection supervisory authority or to receive compensation for any damage you suffer; and
- The right to withdraw your consent to Abbott’s processing of your personal data without detriment, where you have provided consent for Abbott to process your personal data.
FURTHER INFORMATION YOU NEED TO KNOW
- International transfers - We transfer your personal data outside of the European Economic Area ("EEA") to third countries which do not offer the same level of protection as required by the EEA. In order to safeguard your personal data we will only make such transfers on the basis of (i) a decision of the European Commission that permits this, or (ii) subject to EU-approved Standard Contractual Clauses. Please note, Abbott has entered into data transfer agreements based on the EU Standard Contractual Clauses to transfer your personal data from the EEA to third countries, which includes the United States. To access or receive a copy of the EU Standard Contractual Clauses which we use to export your personal data from the EEA, please contact our EU DPO (details below).
- Storage -Your personal data will be stored for as long as it is needed to provide you with (i) the Abbott service or product that you have requested; and/or (ii) access to our websites and services. Alternatively, your personal data will also be stored for as long as we require it to respond to your queries and concerns or in accordance with any legal requirements, including those in relation to product or medical device safety. For further information please contact your local customer care or the EU-DPO office using the details below.
- Why we need your data -The provision of personal data to Abbott is required to fulfil the terms of a contract you have with Abbott, to provide you with a product or service you have requested, to comply with local laws, such as those relating to product or medical device safety. Any failure to provide such personal data will mean that Abbott cannot provide you with the product or service you have requested.
- Customer care, queries and issues: please follow Abbott’s normal recommended channels.
- Data Protection Officer: if you have any queries in relation to the processing of your personal data please contact our EU DPO at http://www.eu-dpo.abbott.com/.